It’s the year of the rat, and we’re celebrating with some of the best Lunar New Year 2020 inspired designer fashion
Lunar New Year 2020 is on January 25, which indicates the start of a new Chinese calendar and a new zodiac animal: the Year of the Rat, last seen in 2008. In China and other Asian countries, the significance of Lunar New Year is equivalent to the Western importance of Christmas. Businesses close for weeks and travelers are expected to make some 3 billion trips to partake in the festivities this year.
More importantly, extended families gather to celebrate traditions and follow customs, eat festive foods, and exchange good luck greetings with friends and acquaintances, like the ubiquitous money-filled red envelope, which is said to bring good luck for the forthcoming year.
With the growing importance of Chinese customers to global brands, many have released special collections to commemorate Lunar New Year 2020, the year of the rat:
Women’s Year of the Rat Selections
- Moschino x Disney Mickey Rat women’s track pants, hoodie, knit sweater, and t-shirt
- Etro x Tom & Jerry Jerry women’s sweatshirt, t-shirt, and button-down
- Tory Burch Rita the Rat women’s t-shirt, pouch, mini bag, keychain, and espadrilles
- Kenzo Kung Fu Rat women’s sweatshirt dress, hoodie, t-shirt, and cropped t-shirt
- Marni Mouse Ears women’s t-shirt in black, white, and an alternate design
- Alberta Ferretti Topo Gigio keychain
Men’s Year of the Rat Selections
- Dsquared2 Chinese New Year “topi” men’s t-shirt
- Moschino Mickey Rat men’s sweatshirt and t-shirt
- Paul Smith Year of the Rat men’s bi-fold wallet and cardholder
- Kenzo Chinese New Year capsule men’s shoulder bag, backpack, and belt bag
Aside from special collections for the lunar new year, it’s also worth mentioning some of our top-selling brands in mainland China by searches and orders, which are the predominant luxury labels in the region.
Our Most Popular Brands in China
- Women’s Shoes: Hogan, Golden Goose, Roger Vivier
- Women’s Clothing: Max Mara, Moncler, Dolce & Gabbana
- Women’s Accessories: Gucci, Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs
- Men’s Shoes: Dolce & Gabbana, Prada, Valentino Garavani
- Men’s Clothing: Moncler, Dsquared2, Dolce & Gabbana
- Men’s Accessories: Dior, Bottega Veneta, Balenciaga
For more reading about Lunar New Year 2020 and the Year of the Rat, check out CNBC’s guide to where to celebrate, a guide to Chinese New Year manicures from the Hong Kong Tatler, and Highsnobiety has a recap of Nike’s Chinese New Year TV commercial.
Discover more holiday-related articles: Designer Kid’s Clothing for FW19-20, and Holiday Gift Ideas.
Shop italist for up to 30% off on over 150,000 up-to-the-minute luxury fashions for women, men, and kids from leading brands like Golden Goose, Fendi, Gucci, Miu Miu, and many more—direct from Italy’s finest boutiques to your door.