With her understated silhouettes and pared-down designs, “Queen of Less” Jil Sander is one the most influential designers of our time. But why is Jil Sander so expensive, how do Jil Sander shoes fit, and who is Jil Sander?
Since childhood, I have been interested in men’s clothes. Fabrics, cuts, colors — everything there seemed less flimsy and whimsical. This may have given my work an androgynous edge. But I like femininity, not of the devout, but of the self-assured, cool and sophisticated kind. I hope to provide clothes which underline the attractiveness of character, intelligence and personal charisma. – Jil Sander
Who is Jil Sander?
Heidemarie Jiline “Jil” Sander is a German designer, born in 1943 in Wesselburen. After studying textile design at the Krefeld School of Textiles, Sander spent two years in the United States, working as a fashion editor.
In 1965, she returned to Germany and opened a boutique in Hamburg, selling her own creations alongside established designers, such as Thierry Mugler and Sonia Rykiel.
In 1973, Sander launched her eponymous brand. In a time when vibrant colors and exuberant designs dominated the runways, the young designer stood out for the simplicity of her creations. Her first collection wasn’t received well— “she was much too early,” said Jean-Jacques Picart. But soon, Sander’s minimalist approach to fashion gained her international acclaim.
She designed for the modern businesswoman—she focused on practicality over decoration, infusing classic masculine silhouettes with a refined, feminine flair.
Her pieces, characterized by neutral colors, clean lines, and luxurious materials, heavily influenced the rise of minimalist fashion in the 1990s. Soon, the designer expanded into fragrances, cosmetics, eyewear, and menswear.
In 1999, the Prada Group bought a 75% share in the brand. However, merely six months later, the designer resigned as chairwoman and chief designer due to creative differences. She returned to the company in 2003, but resigned again in 2004.
In 2009, the label teamed up with Uniqlo to create the +J collaboration line, which was and continues to be extremely successful.
In 2021, OTB Group (parent company of Maison Margiela, among others) acquired the brand. Husband and wife team Lucie and Luke Meier are now co-Creative Directors of the brand.
Read on to understand why is Jil Sander so expensive.
How to pronounce Jil Sander
The name might look easy to pronounce, but, if you want to make the German designer’s name justice, say goodbye to the American -er and soft -s sound.
Here’s how pronounce Jil Sander, the German way: JIL ZAHN-DAH.
Now you know who is Jil Sander and how to pronounce Jil Sander correctly. You might be browsing the SS22 collection, maybe you’ve even added something to your cart.
But not all brands fit the same, and getting the wrong size when online shopping is a frustrating experience. So, before you make your purchase, you might be wondering how does the label fit?
How do Jil Sander shoes fit?
Here’s everything you need to know about the label’s footwear sizing:
- As most made in Italy brands, the brand uses Italian sizing. If you’re not sure how this translates to US sizing, read our shoe size conversion article.
- The brand’s shoes come in whole sizes: women’s IT 35 to IT 40 and men’s IT 39 to IT 45.
- Generally, the label’s shoes fit true to size. The Chelsea boots have a narrow fit, so, if you have wide feet, we recommend going up one size. Keep in mind that a pointy toe will fit narrower than a rounded toe—we recommend going a size up when purchasing, e.g., the ballet flats.
- For all styles, we recommend comparing measurements with a similar shoe you already own.
Why is it so expensive?
So, why is Jil Sander so expensive?
It comes down to a few simple reasons:
- The label uses only the finest materials (such as calf leather, lamb leather, and cashmere wool), and the pared-down designs highlight the exceptional craft, exquisite details, and sharp cuts.
- Almost all products are made in Italy, where factory workers make a fair, livable wage. Others are made in Portugal, which has similarly high worker standards.
- The label is respected and known to be the epitome of sophistication and understated luxury. The label has pioneered modern minimalism, and the designer’s contribution to the fashion industry is invaluable.
Luckily, we always have a large selection of Jil Sander clothing, shoes, and accessories for women and Jil Sander clothing, shoes, and accessories for men, and constantly have the best pricing offer in the market.